Compiled By L.A.M.C.Amarasekara
Forestry and environment socitey, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
The island is blessed with 103 rivers and streams radiating from the central hills, rushing down rocky precipices forming a number of roaring waterfalls of various shapes and heights, all ending up loosing the momentum at the Indian Ocean.Here are some of the most picturesque waterfalls, out of which only a few can be viewed with ease, where as the others can only be seen by penetrating thick forests and tea plantations
- Bambarakanda Ella The highest waterfall in Sri Lanka (865 feet), which is at it`s peak capacity during September and October.
- Diyaluma You will find the 2nd highest waterfall around 13 Km towards “Koslanda” on the Wellawaya Road. Diyaluma means Watery light.
- Dunhinda To see the breathtaking beauty of Dunhinda falls(210 feet), you have to travel about 5 Km from Badulla along the Mahiyangana road, and walk for another 2 Km (trekking) away from the main road.
- St. Claire The widest waterfall in Sri Lanka, about 265 feet high.
- Laxapana Falls Laxapana fall is 377 feet high
- Aberdeen Falls A mere 5 Km away from Laxapana you will find the 322 feet high Aberdeen Falls.
- Devon Falls Devon falls(318 feet) can be best viewed from the 20th mile post of the Talawakele-Nawalapitiya highway.
- Rawana Falls Visible from the Ella-Wellawaya road, near Udunuwara village. A popular stopover for travelers.
- Alupola Ella This 200 feet high fall is to be found 25 Km away from Ratnapura in the Wewalwatte village.
- Bopath Ella The water falls 100 feet in the shape of a Bo leaf. When you travel along the Colombo-Ratnapura highway, turn at Higasthenna junction and drive along the Agalawatte road up to Devapahala village to see Bopath Ella.
- The Lovers Leap The 100 feet high Lovers Leap begins it`s journey as a fountain at the Southern slope of Sri Lanka`s highest mountain Pidurutalagala. The falls can be seen from the town Nuwara Eliya.
- Mawanella Ella Travel 35 Km from Nuwara Eliya towards Udupussallawa and another 13 Km towards the Napola gap, and then you will find Mawanella Ella in the Lunuwatta village.
- Bakers Fall Discovered by Sir Samuel Baker and a good stopover on your way to the World`s end.
- Elgin Falls Railwaybetween Nanu Oya and Ambewela offers a panoramic view of the 75 feet high Elgin Falls.
- Bridal Falls The winding highway to the Nuwara Eliya Plateau offers a memorable view of Bridal Falls, resembling a bridal veil, while dropping over the rock face.
- Perawella Falls Perawella Fall is about 90 feet high.
- Ramboda Falls Can be seen from the Ramboda Bazaar on the Nuwara Eliya-Ramboda road.